Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I hate summer.

It's so HOT. 
And it's going to stay hot. This pleases me not at all. 
You see, I'm a cool weather kind of girl. I'd much prefer to shiver than to sweat. My ideal vacation spot is not Hawaii or Cancun - rather, I dream of a cabin on the lakefront in Door County, Wisconsin. 
And have I mentioned that it's HOT?
I am so very grumpy in the summertime. Jim's noticed it, I think, and if he hasn't yet, he will soon. I will whine like a hungry kitten if I have to be outside in the summer sun for longer than five minutes. (If I am by the lake or pool, with a cold drink in hand, I can last a bit longer. Like maybe 15 minutes.)
I am not proud of this; I'd like to be hardier - a sunflower instead of a bleeding heart. But I am not. 
And therefore, I dread the summer.
However, there is an avenue I'm exploring which could help combat sweaty summer swamp butt: Thrift store skirts.
Between a consignment store in West Point and a thrift store in Norfolk, I've purchased three skirts and three dresses, plus some black capris (that fit perfectly!), a pair of shoes and several blouses, all for about $50. The skirts are perfect for work - they're long enough to be modest, but still light enough to stay cool. And since I have rotten luck with shorts (they never, ever look flattering - why???), they are a blessed solution. 
I may never buy anything new again. 
So while the summer may be hot and horrible, at least I'll be staying cool (and relatively richer, since I'm spending less on clothes). 

No comments: