Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Supermodel

One of the best compliments I ever got was from a college friend and it went something like this:

"I really like how comfortable you are with your body. It's refreshing that you aren't always stressing about your weight."

Another compliment that ranks in the top 20 was from my dance partner at the community theatre. We were practicing "Oom Pa Pa" from "Oliver" and after he lifted me for the first time, he said "Don't take this the wrong way, but you weigh a lot more than you look."

(Sidebar: I was about three months pregnant at the time, but the only people who knew were my husband and immediate family.)

Given the choice between looking heavy and being heavy, I'll choose the latter every time.

I won't lie and say I've don't worry about my physical appearance because I do. Kind of a lot, actually. But as for my weight, it's just a number on a scale. I don't actually know how much I weigh right now. Probably a lot.

But so what? I'm healthy and my clothes fit. I would describe my shape as curvy and my style icon is Christina Hendricks.


This is the lesson I plan to teach my daughter: Beautiful isn't a size. It's a mindset.

And if I can model that to her, then I'll be a real-life supermodel.

3 comments:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

So since Saffron's your style model, you intend to dress up like a little country flower, seduce men, and steal their spaceships?

COOL!

(Firefly fans were so, so far ahead of both the Christina Hendricks and Nathan Fillion curves)

Violet said...

I guess I can do that if the whole newspaper thing doesn't work out ... :)

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! My "body icon" is Marilyn Monroe, curvacious, drop dead gorgeous and a size 4 (with a 1 in front of it).