Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Not that anyone asked ...

I love to read. This is not news. If your literary tastes are anything like mine, here's a list of books you may enjoy:

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. She's an Omaha columnist and basically is awesome. If you're a 20-something female journalist from Northeast Nebraska, this will absolutely be your favorite book.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Pretty much anything by Ken Follett is worth reading. He's working a new series now that covers multiple generations during the 20th century. Fall of Giants is the first installment - it's a huge book but a surprisingly fast read.

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is another multi-generational, cross-Atlantic, cross-century epic. If you're looking for something to sink your teeth into, this is it. (FYI: I'd rate this series PG-13, at least.)

And finally, The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede is lovely. It's the story of a "princess who refuses to be proper." Yes, please!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I liked Pillars of the Earth. I did not finish the sequel. It had too much sex to be believable. I know its just fiction, but everyone was having sex, even the nuns were kissing. I will have to look up the other books you listed, as I have lots of time on my hands in a few weeks : )

Violet said...

That's probably my least favorite part of Ken Follett's and Diana Gabaldon's books, all the sex. Yay for the characters, but I could do without it ... usually I skip over any it. :) The Enchanted Forest Chronicles might be something D would like, if not now, then in a couple of years. It's pretty kid-appropriate.

Anonymous said...

I will have to read Rainbow's book once I work through my ever growing stack of books. For some reason I went to the library and checked out 2 more! Oh, the pressure of a due date!