Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why women shop in pairs

I was casually flipping through the clothing racks at my favorite thrift store for an Easter outfit when I saw it: The perfect dress.

It was love at first sight, and for only $12, I almost took it straight from the rack to the cashier. I was responsible, though, and went to try it on.

Oh, it fit like a dream. It was kind of dress that makes your waist look tiny, your legs appear slim and long and your skin glow. I couldn't stop smiling as I swished and turned in front of the mirror. "I Feel Pretty" may or may not have been running through my head.

Enraptured with my treasure, I unzipped the dress, eager to make it my own. But, alas, victory was not mine.

You see, I'd neglected the "P" behind the dress size. Getting the dress on had been fine. Getting it off ... not so much.

As it turns out, my rib cage is not a "P." As I wriggled and writhed my way out of the dress, I wondered if I'd be wearing it for the rest of my life. There was a moment, encased in apple-green taffeta, when I believed I'd never get it off.

This, friends, is why women go shopping in pairs.

Needless to say, the dress is still on the rack. The hunt continues for an Easter dress, but that's the joy of thrifting: There's always something better out there.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Awwww, that was pretty. Too bad. : (

photo_lolo said...

I am so sad you didn't buy this. Cute find!