Monday, October 3, 2011

A Mini dilemma


If I told you that the Captain and I never had any difficult financial decisions, I absolutely would be lying.
Don’t misunderstand: We live well within our means, own our home free and clear and live in a fairly affordable place. And though neither of our salaries are what you would call generous, we make do with what we have and stick a little into savings each month.
I know we’re blessed to have relative financial security, especially since we’re both under 30.
But to that point … three years ago, we purchased a Mini Cooper because it suited our needs at that stage of life. It is extremely fuel-efficient and what it lacks in seating capacity, it makes up for with style. (Frankly, when we bought it, we figured kids were at least five years in the future.)
Now, though, our needs are vastly different. Instead of tossing a duffel bag in the boot for a weekend, we now have to fit in a car seat, stroller, toys, board books, diapers, wipes, bottles and blankets — and, oh yes, the BABY! Because of the space the car seat takes up, the passenger (usually me) has to sit completely upright … not very much fun on car rides longer than 20 minutes.
Someday, I know we’ll have another little passenger to join us on adventures and I just can’t see it happening in the vehicle we have now. Our other car, a 1998 Chevy Malibu, has more room and runs well enough … for now. I’d like to say we could make it with one vehicle, but our work and civic responsibilities, plus the geography of where we live — everything’s spread out — makes that plan highly unlikely.
What I’m thinking is to sell the Mini, pay off that loan on it, then purchase a larger, used vehicle that’s a little more family- and budget-friendly. The Captain wants to avoid having any loans at all, and while I agree with him in principle, I just don’t think it’s going to happen. 

Here’s my blatant plea for advice: Does this sound like a feasible plan? If you’ve been in a similar situation, what did you do? If you’re older and wiser, what would you suggest to us?
(My back, achy and strained from sitting ever-so-properly for hours on end, thanks you!)

1 comment:

Puffin said...

Oh yes, we have been there! LOL!

Hmmm, I am older, true. I don't know if I am wiser.

Since getting married almost 11 years ago - here's what we've done.

We left WY for NJ with a VW beetle, the old kind - built in 1971 (actually as old as me!) We had just sold a Chevy Corsica to M&D, I think it went to SIL? I can't recall. But, we had also bought a Dodge pick up truck for $1,000 and the engine promptly quit. After the engine was repaired, the transmission died in Indiana. So, we junked the truck. We then bought a Chevy Cavalier in NJ. So we had the bug and the Cavalier. My mother insisted that the new baby (I was pregnant) could never ride in the bug - which at this point had just gotten a new paint job and refurbished engine. So, we bought a Nissan Sentra (with a loan from my mother). Your niece rode in this car about three times, because we always ended up using the Cavalier. Then, we moved to Virginia, and sold the Sentra. In Florida, we sold the bug and bought a mini-van, as we were expecting your nephew. Now, we had a Cavalier and Dodge Caravan. Guess who never rode in the Cavalier anymore? So, we sold the Cavalier, and bought a truck (hmm, can't remember what kind) because we were moving to Michigan, and there would be snow. The truck slid all over the rode in ice and snow, so we sold the truck and bought an Subaru Outback. Well, then we were moving to Alaska, and didn't need two cars. So, we sold the outback.

Did you follow that? That is 8 cars in 11 years. We also have a camper in Kansas that we've outgrown. So, I am not wiser and will not give you a suggestion. However, I challenge you to do worse! : ) (At the very least, your plan will be more feasible!)

BTW, it was fun talking and seeing you on Skype the other day. I love you!