Monday, July 18, 2011

Something borrowed, something lame

Photo credit: IMDB.com

On Sunday night I volunteered at the theatre (something I really need to make a regular practice ... perhaps Sandra Renner can help me be accountable ...) and the movie was "Something Borrowed."

I was prepared to like it — after all, Ginnifer Goodwin and John Krasinski, two of my favorite actors, are in it.

But then it got stupid. And I hated it.

The basic premise is two lifelong girlfriends, Rachel and Darcy, meet The Boy in law school. Rachel falls in love with him but doesn't say anything. Fast forward six years: Darcy is engaged to The Boy and Rachel is all pouty about it.

Long (too long) story short, Rachel and The Boy begin a clandestine affair. All the while, Darcy has no idea they're carrying on behind her back but she's not too worried since she's fooling around with someone else.

Rachel eventually asks The Boy to call of the wedding and be with her. He wimps out and says he can't, leaving her to walk away into the rain. She flies to London to visit her best guy friend, played by John Krasinski, and weep on his shoulder. He reveals that he's always liked her, and says the only smart thing in the movie: Why settle to be the second choice when you could be someone's first choice?

Naturally, she ignores this sage advice and flies back to the U.S. to learn the wedding is off. Darcy is pregnant with the child of her fooling-around partner and The Boy, suddenly courageous, decides he can be with Rachel now.

The end.

What bothers me about the whole movie is that Rachel settles for a man who begins their relationship by being unfaithful, dishonest and cowardly.

What kind of message does that send? That if a guy is good looking and sends flowers, a girl should fall head over heels ... despite the fact he's engaged to her best friend?

And what does it say about women's relationships with each other — that they're shallow and deceitful, incapable of any genuine sentiment?

Ultimately though, what bothered me most about the movie the underlying theme that you should do what you want, regardless of the feelings of others, regardless of responsibilities, regardless of what's right.

That's 180 degrees from my worldview, which follows what I learned in Sunday school many years ago: JOY (Jesus, Others, You).

You might ask why this movie got under my skin. After all, it's hardly the worst thing out there right now, morality-wise.

The answer is two-fold.
A) I don't see many movies these days and
B) Movies like this, clearly geared toward women, play a major role in shaping how girls perceive romantic relationships. Do I want my daughter thinking a lying, cheating wimp is the last word in romance? Do I want her to think that's all she's worth, a few stolen moments with a loser who doesn't have the decency to start a relationship in the open?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Every woman deserves a man who will make her his first priority, a man who will love her and put her needs before his own. A man who will be faithful to her and recognize her value and worth as a baptized child of God.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...I shoot for once a month at the theatre! :) I did not see the film, but I love your insight on this plot.