Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thrifty Thursday - Mega Post

One of the things I love about second-hand shopping is that it can be a partially self-sustaining hobby. How, you may ask? Here's how I feed my habit: Consignment.

In my small rural corner of Nebraska, there are two excellent consignment stores I regularly frequent. I have accounts at both, and when I do a closet purge, I take in what has resale value. The split is something like 30% to me and 70% to the store. 

Granted, I never actually "make" money, but this way new-to-me clothes don't break the budget.

Here are some of our (Jim is developing his own thrifty sense!) recent finds:


This handbag is stamped "Kate Spade," but I have my doubts as to its authenticity. Regardless of if it's "real" or not, I love the color and sleek profile of it.


I'd been looking for some heeled sandals and these caught my eye. They are extremely comfortable, so I looked up the brand - BeautiFeel. It turns out similar shoes retail for $150-200 — and I got these for $7! 


I couldn't resist the feel of this scarf, and the colors are so pretty.


Pattern mixing is a thing now, I guess, and while I think the trend makes people look like a toddler dressed them, this isn't so bad. Would I go out in public like this? Likely not, but the skirt and shirt separately have lots of potential.


Now this is more my daily style: Boot-cut jeans (like new, Eddie Bauer - my favorite brand!), low-maintenance top and a toddler on my hip.


This necklace is NOT toddler-safe, but I'll be able to wear it at work without tiny fingers trying to grab it.
 

I saw these bright red cowboy boots and immediately put them in the cart. I don't think they've ever been worn and Evangeline LOVES them! I hope they still fit during football season - go Huskers!


Jim found a pair of nearly-new cargo shorts, and I picked up some books to keep me awake during 3 a.m. feedings.



Everything pictured here - two tops, a skirt, one pair of shorts, one pair of jeans, a pashmina, a pair of sandals, a pair of cowboy boots, two books, a handbag and a necklace - cost under $50. Considering my sandals alone originally cost at least twice that, I can live with that.

•••
Do you thrift, yard sale or consign? I'd love to hear about your favorite finds - leave a comment!

No comments: