Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Thank you to our community’s secret Santas

On Sunday, I had the rare privilege of listening to Pastor Mayes’s sermon during church. 

I say rare, because a typical Sunday morning for me is not a peaceful time; instead, it’s a wrestling match. My daughter is skilled at many things, but sitting through church quietly is not one of them.

But last Sunday, I sang in choir and Jim got to corral our squirmy 14-month-old. What I took away most of all from the sermon was that as Christians, we’re called to meet our neighbors’ needs before our own wants.

It’s an area in which I often fail, especially at this time of year.

I enjoy picking out gifts for family and friends, imagining their faces as they tear open the wrapping paper and anticipating the joy they’ll receive from them. I’m also quite good at picking out odds and ends for myself during shopping excursions. If it’s on sale and I’ve been eyeing it for a while, it’s probably going to end up in my stocking.

What can I say? I’m my own Santa.

While I don’t believe this is completely reprehensible behavior, there is room for improvement.

Growing up, my parents instilled the importance of also giving to people we don’t know at Christmas time. We participated in Operation Christmas Child and similar programs. It’s a practice I want to model for Evangeline and her future little brother or sister. Although my children can’t comprehend it yet — Evangeline is too young and Little Kirk won’t be born until May — I continued the tradition this year on their behalf locally.

I’ve heard there are many secret Santas in our community, giving snow boots and grocery gift cards or helping to pay utility bills.

I understand their preference for anonymity, but sometimes I wish it was known who they are. It would be nice to thank them personally.

You know who you are, so consider this addressed to you: Thank you for helping to create a community of giving and of compassion, and for reminding me about putting my neighbors’ needs above my own wants.

Merry Christmas.

On the Lighter Side
Published December 21, 2011

No comments: