Monday, December 12, 2011

Not a mind reader, just a mom

Our cat/baby deterrent system

This is my newspaper column from Dec. 7. Apparently Facebook doesn't allow copy and pasting into notes anymore (ask me how I feel about that), so I'm posting it here instead. Enjoy!

To decorate or not to decorate ... that was the question last week as I debated the wisdom of putting up a full-size Christmas tree in a house with an active 14-month-old and two feisty cats.

I got a lot of feedback on it — advice, tips and tricks for managing holiday cheer without too many broken bulbs or bent tree limbs. Eventually, we settled on a rather unorthodox solution, but after almost a week, the tree is still standing.

I’m going to call it a win.

Jim had a train set he received from his father as a child. We’ve moved the plywood track every place we’ve lived in the past five years, yet I’d forgotten completely about it.

But Jim hadn’t, and now it’s standing guard at the base of our tree. It’s a surprisingly good deterrent for the cats. The clacking of metal wheels along the rails, combined with the threat of a sensitive tail meeting an unfortunate accident has kept them sufficiently wary of climbing the tree ... at least as long the train is running and we’re watching them.

As far as Evangeline, she’s content just to look at the lights. Granted, there’s nothing on the bottom third of the tree to tempt her, either.

I have gotten some flack in the past for writing (at least in one person’s opinion) too much about my daughter.

Apparently, there’s an anonymous person out there who feels my column should conform more to what he or she wants to read.

It would have helped if that person had the courage to sign his or her name ... I’m not a mind reader.

But columns like last week’s remind me why I write about my journey as a mother — because it reminds people of their own experiences.

Whether or not you are a parent or grandparent, you probably have some children in your life and can relate.

And if you don’t, I’m sure there have been events in your life, maybe a new job, relationship or pet, a move, graduation or achievement, that draw close parallels to the upheaval and joy I associate with being a mother.

I’m sure my experiences with Evangeline will not be unique, if viewed in the entirety of parenthood over all time. But viewed through the lens of my own personal experience, each day is extraordinary.

On the Lighter Side
Published December 7, 2011

No comments: