Friday, August 19, 2011

Infinity for less

This week I had the rare pleasure to shop with my sister. We visited an upscale consignment store (definitely NOT an oxymoron — watch for a future post for evidence) and then went to some "real" stores. 
It's increasingly difficult for me to swallow paying full price for clothes when I know I can buy them for pennies on the dollar at thrift or consignment stores.


Case in point: Kat pointed out this cute infinity scarf at American Eagle. 
"Do you think $20 is a good price for this?" she asked. 
Five years ago, I would have said yes. After all, it's cute, versatile and can be used in multiple seasons. 
But now ...
"You know, you could probably make this," I said, turning it over in my hands. "Look, it's just a straight stitch and rolling the edges. Even I could do this."
So now all we have to do is look for jersey fabric in cute colors and prints and we're in the gift-making business. 
(And I have yet another thing to add to my 2012 fair projects list ...)

No comments: