Friday, June 10, 2011

Hello, sweetie

Do you ever read something that speaks so perfectly to your present situation it seems the author has left a message through time and space just for you?

I love it when that happens. It's like living in an episode of "Dr. Who."


Anyway, message received, Martin Luther. Message received.

"An industrious, pious school-master or teacher, who faithfully trains and educates boys (my note: given Luther's stance on educating both sexes, I'm also going to infer girls), can never be sufficiently recompensed, and no money will pay him ... Yet the calling is shamefully despised among us, as if were nothing, and at the same time we pretend to be Christians! If I had to give up preaching and my other duties, there is no other office I would rather have than that of school-teacher. For I know that next to the ministry it is the most useful, greatest, and best; and I am not sure which of the two is to be preferred ... Therefore let it be considered one of the highest virtues on earth faithfully to train the children of others, which duty but very few parents attend to themselves."
Martin Luther, Sermon on Duty of Sending Children to School

No comments: